The Politics and Economics of International Finance Research Group Meeting
Harvard University, 1730 Cambridge Street, Room S-020
Sponsored by the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs and the Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government
Jeffrey Frankel and Jeffry Frieden, Co-chairs
CANCELLED DUE TO THE PANDEMIC
Program (draft of Jan. 8, 2020)
8:30-9:00 AM: Continental Breakfast
9:00-9:10 AM: Welcome
9:10-10:40 AM: Atif Mian (Department of Economics, Princeton University), “What is constraining the global economy? The role of indebted demand and debt traps”
Mian, Atif, Ludwig Straub, and Amir Sufi. 2020. “Indebted Demand."
Mian, Atif, Ludwig Straub, and Amir Sufi. 2020. “The Saving Glut of the Rich and the Rise in Household Debt ”.
10:40-11:00 AM: Coffee Break
11:00 AM-12:30 PM: Rachel Wellhausen (Department of Government, University of Texas at Austin), “Investor-state disputes and the protection of foreign investment”
Wellhausen, Rachel L. 2020. “ "International Investment Law and Foreign Direct Reinvestment." .” International Organization 73 ((4): 839-858.
12:30-1:30 PM: Lunch
1:30-3:00 PM: James Robinson (Harris School, University of Chicago), “The Narrow Corridor and How to think about Comparative Political Economy.”
Acemoglu, Daron, and James Robinson. 2020. “The Narrow Corridor: States, Societies, and the Fate of Liberty, Chapters 1 &2 .” New York: Penguin Press.
3:00-3:15 PM: Coffee Break
3:15-4:30 PM: Panel Discussion Panel – Trade wars, currency wars, and coronavirus: recipe for a global recession?
- Catherine Mann, Global Chief Economist, Citi, and former Chief Economist, OECD (2014-2017);
- Maurice Obstfeld, Class of 1958 Professor of Economics, UCB, and former Chief Economist, IMF (2015-18).
- Background Material:
- Obstfeld, Maurice. 2020. “Globalization and Nationalism: Retrospect and Prospect”.
- Mann, Catherine L. 2020. “For Better or Worse, Has Globalization Peaked? Understanding Global Integration”.
- Frankel, Jeffrey. 2020. “"Will Coronavirus Trigger a Global Recession?"” The Guardian, February 26, 2020.
- To connect to Harvard network go here.